Blue Cat's Plug'n Script is an audio and MIDI scripting plug-in and application that can be programmed to build custom effects or virtual instruments, without quitting your favorite DAW software.
With this plug-in, you can write your own plug-in with very little knowledge about programming. If you do not care about programming, Blue Cat's Plug'n Script can also be used as a regular multi effects processor with existing scripts or to get someone else write this very particular utility you have been searching for years and cannot find anywhere.
If you are an experienced programmer, you will find in Plug'n Script a powerful development environment for audio plug-ins: prototype algorithms quickly, generate a state of the art graphical user interface (GUI) without a single line of code, and export a VST, VST3, AAX, or Audio Unit plug-in, right from within your favorite DAW! Creating a plug-in has never been so fast!
This plug-in has been in our lab for several years and has been used to prototype lots of our existing plug-ins. It supports both scripts distributed as source code and pre-compiled binary scripts.
For source scripts, it uses the high performance AngelScript scripting engine, originally developed for video games, with a JIT compiler that helps compiling scripts into machine code for optimal performance. Starting with version 2, the plug-in also supports native (compiled) code and can load binary scripts built from C or C++ (or any language that can export C functions, such as Delphi, Fortran, .Net...), using the same interface as the angelscript version.
The plug-in includes dozens of audio and MIDI processing scripts as well as several virtual instruments and utilities to enhance your workflow. They can be used as is, or as examples to get started to write your own scripts. User scripts can be shared in the scripts repository, which also includes the factory scripts and native projects for reference.
To build complex effects chains using multiple scripts, you might be interested in Blue Cat's PatchWork, which can host multiple instances of this plug-in in series or parallel. While writing scripts, you might also want to use our analysis tools to check their effect on the signal.
- Audio and MIDI scripting plug-in.
- Build your own Audio and MIDI effects or virtual instruments.
- Export your effect or instrument as an independent VST, VST3, Audio Unit or AAX plug-in.
- Native binary scripts support (compiled C, C++ or Delphi, Fortran...).
- Fully customizable user interface that adapts to scripts automatically. Build your own using Blue Cat's KUIML language.
- Up to 48 input parameters and 32 outputs, with full MIDI and automation control.
- Use your favorite Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for editing.
- Integrated JIT (Just In Time) compiler for optimal performance (scripts are not interpreted but compiled).
- Includes 57 scripts with source code and 267 presets for sound synthesis, MIDI FX, audio FX (comp, gate, tremolo echo, filters, looper...), waveform generation, file playback/recording and more.
- Side chain input and auxiliary outputs support.
- Surround support (up to 8 audio channels).
- Download free scripts from our audio & MIDI scripts repository.
Blue Cat Audio Standards:
- Available as a standalone application and in most plug-in formats for Mac and Windows.
- Full MIDI control and automation support, MIDI Learn.
- No CPU load on idle: processing shuts down when fed with silence (optimal CPU usage).
- Customizable user interface with transparency & zoom.
- Automation and MIDI output: record output parameters as automation curves or send MIDI CC messages to other plug-ins for powerful side chain effects.
- Smooth Bypass: noiseless plug-in activation / deactivation.
- Full featured integrated presets manager.
- Copy/paste the state of the plug-in between instances.
- Any sample rate supported.
Typical applications: Audio and MIDI scripting, virtual instruments programming, VST plug-in development, digital signal processing (DSP), Multi-effect processor, algorithm prototyping, audio dsp learning.User's GuideOn The BlogPresetsTutorialsNewsletter
"Plug'n Script is a very original and powerful piece of software. A simple and intuitive interface, which actually opens a full world of experimentation. Very convenient to prototype new signal processing ideas in seconds. The example scripts are a mine of information, both for audio programmers and beginners. A unique and extremely powerful plugin!"- - www.noisemakers.fr.
"An amazing piece of software, it makes possible prototyping new digital signal processing algorithms in a few minutes. And now with the latest version of Plug'n Script, the scripts are running really fast!
Great tool for newcomers who want to familiarize with audio development or for professionnal developers who want to hear quickly what their algorithm sounds like."- - Musical Entropy.
To add your own comment about this product, please contact us.
- 5 instances of the plug-in allowed per session.
- The effect is bypassed for half a second every minute.
- Exported VST plug-ins display a demo message and will stop processing after 10 minutes.
- An Intel or Apple Silicon processor.
- Mac OS 10.9 or newer.
- For the plug-in, any VST / Audio Unit / AAX compatible application (64-bit) .
- For the standalone application, a Core Audio compatible audio interface.
- An SSE2-enabled processor (Pentium 4 or newer).
- Microsoft Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8 or 10.
- For the plug-in, any VST / AAX compatible host software (32 or 64 bit).
- For the standalone application, an ASIO, MME or WASAPI compatible audio interface (ASIO recommended).
For more information about supported platforms, see our Knowledge Base.